European Union Military Operation in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The European Freedom Defenders
The Leadership of EUFOR in establishing Peace and Stability in Europe
©EUFOR Public Affairs Office 2014
Operation ALTHEA is the European Union’s Military Contribution to the Stabilisation and Integration of Bosnia and Herzegovina into the European Family of Nations. The Operation was launched in December 2004. It has contributed to the maintenance of the safe and secure environment in BiH ever since. The launch of Operation ALTHEA followed the decision by NATO to conclude its SFOR-Operation and the adoption by the UN Security Council of resolution 1575 authorizing the deployment of an EU Force (EUFOR) in BiH. The European Union’s Mission Statement.
In the framework of Operation ALTHEA, the EU initially deployed 7000 troops, to ensure continued compliance with the General Framework Agreement for Peace (GFAP) in BiH and to contribute to a safe and secure environment. Operation ALTHEA is carried out with recourse to NATO Assets and Capabilities, under the ‘Berlin Plus Agreement’
- To provide Capacity Building and Training to the Armed Forces of Bosnia and Herzegovina (AFBiH) and supporting them in their progression towards NATO standards
- To provide deterrence and continued compliance with the responsibility to fulfill the role specified in Annexes 1A and 2 of the Dayton/Paris Agreement (General Framework Agreement for Peace in BiH)
- To contribute to a Safe and Secure environment in BiH, in line with its mandate
- And to achieve core Tasks in the OHR’s Mission Implementation Plan, the Stabilization and Association Process (SAP)
Major General Johann Luif from Austria holds the Commanding Position of the EUFOR BiH (Operation Althea)
©EUFOR Public Affairs Office
The United Kingdom and its Leadership in Western Balkans
The United Kingdom has been long– advocating the path of Western Balkans into European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization by:
- Political Measures: Educational sponsorship, providing help for Training and Reforms for helping the region to be qualified for EU-NATO full Membership.
See implemented and the on going Projects UK and Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Military Presence: for Conflict Prevention and helping the process of Peace and Stability in Bosnia-Herzegovina (BiH) since 2004 in the European Union Force EUFOR
–Just in recent year, in June 2014 the UK Armed-Forced deployed two additional reconnaissance platoons to strengthen the EUFOR capability in BiH.
–In the same year, in response to the request by the EUFOR, the UK Armed-Forces deployed an additional of 95 troops to upgrade the EU Peacekeeping Mission in BiH.
- Multi-Financial Aid Package: for various Social and Economic Projects
–Between 2010- 2015 the UK Foreign office allocated the additional £3 million for supporting the Reforms in Judicial System and promote the Freedom of Media for: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia (and Turkey).
In 2015 Prime Minister David Cameron announced, in EU Summit-Brussels, another package of aid £20 million for Training and Good Governance Fund for Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
UK Government Policy: Stability in the Western Balkans 2010-2015
See news from UK Diplomatic Mission in BiH
By Catherine Stella Schmidt
In addition to its outstanding Military Leadership, Austrian Cultural Engagements in Bosnia Herzegovina
All the materials on US-EU World Affairs (articles, news, photos, videos, media) are from various Governmental Agencies and are strictly Copy-righted. Redistribution, reproduction, copying, or linking the content of this organization, in any kind, are prohibited by Law.
All rights reserved.