The Operation runs to bolster the international efforts in establishing Peace, Security and Stability in the area. And it was launched under the United Nations (UN Security Council Resolution 1244) for the Peace Support Operation in Kosovo in 1999.
Described by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg during his visit at the KFOR Headquarters in 2015:
“A professional and Capable Force. And a source of Regional Stability”
August 2015 ©KFOR Public Affairs Office
The Operational Missions:
- Contribute to a safe and secure environment
- Support and coordinate the international humanitarian effort and civil presence
- Support the development of a stable, democratic, multi-ethnic and peaceful Kosovo
- Support the development of the Kosovo Security Force
As of current time, approximately 5,000 Troops from the NATO-led Kosovo Force (KFOR), provided by 31 countries (23 NATO and 8 KFOR partners) continue to contribute towards maintaining a safe and secure environment and freedom of movement for all citizens, irrespective of their ethnic origin.
The HQ of KFOR is located at Camp Film City, Pristina under the authority of Commander of KFOR (COMKFOR) MAJOR GENERAL Guglielmo Luigi MIGLIETTA 2016 © KFOR Public Affairs
- Follow news from NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg
- Follow news from KFOR
- Follow news from EULEX
- Follow news from UN Mission in Kosovo