In October 2022, the military officials from the U.S and Europe attended in the Northern Europe Chiefs of Defense Conference to discuss current regional security and strengthening defense cooperation.
The 13 participant nations were including: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States. And the military representatives from:
- The U.S. National Guard Bureau and the State Partnership Program (SPP)
- The Illinois National Guard (in SPP with Poland)
- The Maryland National Guard (in SPP with Estonia)
- The Michigan National Guard (in SPP with Latvia)
- The Pennsylvania National Guard (in SPP with Lithuania)
The two day conference was a crucial gathering and discussion platform which facilitated and reaffirmed among others the following objectives:
- Highlighting the multi-dimensional aspects of the regional security;
- Enhancing mutual defense cooperation among NATO members and partners;
- The current developments in military technology and how to upgrade and complement the interoperability of NATO members and partner nations.
The conference is a yearly military event established by the U.S. European Command, taking place each year in a different European capitals. In 2021 the conference was held in Helsinki, Finland and the latest conference was in Oct 2022, in Warsaw, Poland.
“There has not been a moment in years when such a meeting has been so critical,”……. “Russia’s illegal and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine has served as an opportunity for all of us to come together to discuss important matters of national and collective defense.” elaborated U.S. Army Gen. Christopher Cavoli, Commander of U.S. European Command ©U.S. European Command Oct 2022
- U.S KFOR Regional Command East
- U.S European Command
- U.S Army Europe and Africa
- US Naval Forces Europe-Africa
- U.S Air Force Europe-Africa
- The 7th Army Training U.S Mission to NATO
Acknowledgment: Sources: U.S. European Command Public Affairs. Photo Military leaders in Northern Europe chiefs of defense conference, Oct. 19-20, 2022, Warsaw, Poland. ©Polish General Staff/U.S European Command Public Affairs. By Editor in Chief, Catherine S. Schmidt