Secretary of State for Defence Michael Fallon hosted a UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial in London on 8 September 2016. The participants from 80 countries agreed to provide more supports for the UN Peacekeeping missions and the Humanitarian interventions.
- To improve the planning of peacekeeping operations – so the UN can better match requirements to capabilities;
- To implement the pledges made back in September – to guarantee the UN can continue to field its force in the future;
- To up the performance of peacekeepers so UN forces are: better-led and better-trained; better balanced – with more women participating; and more capable of protecting civilians on the ground – including by implementing the Women, Peace and Security agenda and preventing incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse. Announced by the UK MOD Sep 7 2016
- Additional: Opening Speech by Secretary of State for Defence The Rt Hon Michael Fallon
- Speech delivered by Baroness Anelay, Minister of State for the UN, at the UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial in London on 8 September 2016